Musicians are more likely to experience depression than most people. Susan Biali Haas, MD, shares that “creatives are at higher risk for mental illness (I can vouch for that personally) and according to Andreasen it at least partially stems from “a problem with filtering or gating the many stimuli that flow into the brain.” For this reason some writers, myself included, organize their lives in order to be isolated from human contact for long blocks of time.”
We have even heard about famous people who took their lives because they suffered this mental health condition. It may be hard to believe because some of these people were successful in their craft, and whatever happened to “let the music heal your soul?” We may never know and understand their reason, but we can still make a difference in the lives of those who are continuing to create great music. First, let us identify the possible causes of depression. They can be either physical or psychological.
Physical Causes Of Depression:
- Brain development or chemistry
- Nutritional deficiencies
Psychological Causes Of Depression:
- Traumatic life events
- Inability to express oneself
“Depression leaks into every aspect of our life, and when we are depressed, we feel numb or sad about everything,” wrote Kristen Fuller, MD.
5 Reasons Why Musicians Are Prone To Depression:
- Not all great musicians become successful. Some are stuck in the consequences of their poor choices or circumstances, and it is hard to accept defeat. When musicians age without reaching their goal, they feel frustrated or maybe even regretful about their past decisions that led them to their However, it doesn’t matter how good they are, success in music is not for everyone.
- While others fail, there are those who reach the top, but where do they go from there? They say success is the loneliest place there is because it is hard to find unpretentious people who genuinely want to be with them. Sometimes, successful musicians find it hard to see that there are people who understand that they are human and imperfect. They think others expect much from them that they pressure themselves to be perfect all the time.
- In the music industry, one wrong move can mean a downfall. You see this in musicians who became sensational or what we often call “one-hit” They suffer from emotional stress from thinking about many what ifs. However, time is essential in this kind of business, and it is true that nothing is permanent. Musicians should understand that people may love them in one instance, and turn into a nobody the next.
- Musicians are creative people, and they are the ones who are most sensitive. They have a profound reaction to everything because their heart and mind are open. For this reason, they also tend to absorb negative emotions easily. If they do not know how to handle this kind of situation, they are more likely to end up being sucked up by the negativity.
- Some musicians believe that drugs can help with creativity, and for those who reached success and gained millions, it is easy to have access to illegal substances. Sadly, only a few people could tell them it is not right because most people are waiting for their downfall. People should begin to understand that drugs are illegal for a reason. It is not beneficial to music or everything else.
It may be hard to grasp why musicians suffer depression, to think they are the people who should be instruments to reviving our tired mind. However, the reason couldn’t be far. Who then gets to be the instrument to rejuvenate their weary spirit?
Musicians should have someone to help them manage their psychological well-being. They should seek professional help to make them cope with the overwhelming emotions surrounding their career. The support system should always be available even when they don’t seem to need it.
Depression is deceiving. It is often barely noticeable that people around a sufferer couldn’t tell at all. The family and friends of a musician, however, should always anticipate the possibility of this condition. “Learning as much as you can about the nature of depression can only help you and your loved one. Read, study, and research the causes of depression, symptoms, and treatments,” advised Dan Bates, LMHC, MAML. It is essential that they see past through success and limelight because often, these two cause a person to be blind.